What Is Landscaping?
Landscaping is considered a necessary element of any home design. It can include items such as patios, walkways, fencing, retaining walls, gazebos, pergolas, arbors, driveways, and steps. It was once important only to create functional outdoor spaces that could be used for cooking or recreation purposes, mostly in front or backyards. Today, hardscapes are also created to meet environmental needs by serving a purpose while providing a beautiful view.
Many homeowners desire a beautiful landscape but are often discouraged by the lack of time and money needed to create and care for the garden of their dreams. A pleasing, low-care, low-cost landscape is possible, however, with careful planning, appropriate plant choices, and thoughtful design. Following are four basic time- and money-saving strategies for residential landscapes:
- Start with a good design. Use simple geometric shapes in the hardscape to provide structure and repetition for organization.
- Know your plants. Learn about hardy plants with interesting forms and foliage that thrive in your area.
- Know your soil. Choose plants that are compatible with your soil, or enrich and improve your soil with compost in selected areas when necessary.
- Don’t fight your climate or soil conditions. Learn to appreciate the perfect imperfection of nature. Don’t waste time trying to control every weed or errant twig on a shrub.
The goal is to do less trimming, weeding, and fertilizing and use less water, energy, and chemicals. The tips below for low-care, low-cost landscapes include ideas for plant selection and organization as well as hardscape selection and design.
A custom landscape design will increase the value of your property but more importantly, it will increase the usable space for your family and friends. Enhancing your front yard will instantly increase your curb appeal. Having a beautiful front yard is a wonderful welcome home! Many backyard spaces are under-utilized, which is such a shame. We treat your vision as if your yard is our own. If you are unsure of what you even want, have no fear – we will ask the right questions to help you realize your dreams.
Benefits Of Hardscaping
Enhances A Yard's Appearance
Enhancing appearance is one of the most important reasons people choose hardscaping. Hardscaping can include stone patios, walls, walkways, and ponds. All of these features are typically crafted from natural materials that can dramatically enhance your landscaping project or backyard design. Whether you want a pond with fountains or a brick patio with classic columns, there are endless possibilities when it comes to hardscape elements.
Provides Additional Outdoor Space
Landscaping also provides homeowners with additional space they can use for outdoor living. Outdoor kitchens, fireplaces, or barbeque grills can be installed into stone or brick patios, so you have a place to relax after a long day at work! Even if you want to enjoy some time out of doors without worrying about weather conditions, hardscape features allow you to do so comfortably.
Makes Property Maintenance Easier
Landscaping makes property maintenance easier by reducing weed growth and limiting water usage. Because it is made from durable materials that don't wear down quickly, landscaping elements are ideal for regularly used areas or are difficult to mow, such as around large trees. If you have pets, adding features like fencing or raised garden beds allows pet owners to enjoy their landscape without worrying about tearing up the grass.
Can Help Cut Down Outdoor Construction And Repair Costs
Hardscaping can also help you cut down on outdoor construction and repair costs because it is durable and long-lasting. Ultimately, hardscaping elements are meant to improve the look of your property and make the space easier to use for years to come.
Our Professional Process
- The landscape design process starts with your list of requirements or preferences for what you would like to see in your yard. These may include privacy, shade, an outdoor kitchen, play areas for children and pets, pathways, patios, and more.
- The next step involves meeting with our experts to discuss these requirements to devise a plan that incorporates them into your space. This means considering the hardscaping options and any plantings placed in critical locations around the property. We understand every homeowner is unique; this is why we take time to get to know each individual’s needs before devising a custom landscape solution for them.
- During the initial consultation phase of our landscaping services, we ask for your input when deciding which designs are suitable for you. Our designs vary depending on materials, color schemes, and landscaping elements incorporated to create the perfect look for your property. After the initial consultation, our team will choose a suitable theme based on these factors and complete any necessary design drawings before executing your landscaping project or backyard construction.
- After we decide everything and receive your approval, we will begin breaking ground on the site and start construction if needed. During warm months, this may require bringing in large equipment such as dump trucks to haul away dirt and stones. In cooler seasons, we can finish our work without disturbing much of your lawn area at all since much of it is under snow when these projects are underway. As soon as the project begins, we take great care to keep a clean workspace so there won’t be anything but a gorgeous landscape left when all is said and done.
- When we complete hardscaping construction, we take care of all the fine details that add character to your yard. This could include extensive landscaping, gravel paths, or installing outdoor lighting. We strive for excellence in every aspect of our services, from design to installation, so that each project not only matches your requirements but exceeds them in every way.
- After the construction process is over, our team will also provide a maintenance plan for you to keep up with lawn mowing and other essential tasks until the next seasonal overhaul around fall or springtime. When you do this yourself, it can be a hassle to go out and buy supplies near the start of every season, only to have them expire before you get a chance to use them. For this reason, we offer year-round lawn services that include mowing and all the other things your property may need on an ongoing basis, so there’s no work for you to do around fall or springtime.
NO MATTER THE PROJECT,
YOU CAN COUNT ON ORANGEBLUE
We’re a one-stop shop for all your construction needs.
FULL SERVICE SOLUTION
We handle the entire project lifecycle for you. This ensures the project is done on time, on budget, and without hassles.
Communication is a core tenet of what we do. Our project managers are on-site daily to ensure you know what's happening all the time.
With decades of experience, we know our craft so well that you can rest assured you're in good hands.
Here are some of the other projects we can help you with.
Frequently Asked Questions
How does pricing work for landscaping services?
Our team will meet with you to discuss your needs and objectives before quoting any prices. Costs depend on the size and scope of each project and material choices (concrete pavers cost more than natural stone, for example). Once we've discussed your options together, we can give you an accurate quote for the work.
How soon should I schedule my consultation?
We recommend scheduling at least two to three weeks before any project begins to allow ample time for planning purposes. But we can always accommodate your timeline if you need to complete urgent work.
How often should I maintain my lawn? Should I cut the grass short or let it grow longer for better health?
Ideally, aim to keep your yard as healthy as possible with the least amount of work and resources required. The best strategy is to maintain your lawn between 2-3 inches long so that you can still see the ground if standing on it, but not too high such as 4+ inches.